Several times a year, our Director — and in this case our Head of School in Training — sets up a tent in the front parking lot and makes himself available all day. Use this time to get information, ask questions and chat with Mr. Ryan about The Learning Center Charter School. This casual setting is the perfect opportunity to find out about programs on campus, volunteer your time or talent, and ask questions that have cropped up since school began.
Mr. Ryan will see you Thursday, September 12th any time during regular school hours.
Click >>>>HERE<<<< to read The Learning Center Charter School’s official inclement weather policy.
Attention TLC Families.
Due to the bitter cold morning temperatures, The Learning Center Charter School will be operating on a 2 HOUR DELAY Wednesday, January 3rd, Thursday, January 4th, and Friday, January 5th. Please note, we will return to normal schedule on Monday, January 8, 2018.
All other areas schools do not return from holiday break until Monday, January 8th when we will again be following Cherokee County Schools delay decisions.
AGAIN, The Learning Center Charter School will be operating on a 2 HOUR DELAY Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, January 3rd-5th.
The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction has awarded The Learning Center Charter School their Academic Growth Award for 2016-2017. This is it’s first year presenting awards for achieving and exceeding expected academic growth.
Academic growth refers to academic progress made over a period of time.
Academic growth represents an impressive amount of hard work by students and educators and our school is proud of this recognition!
The Learning Center! Charter School Inclement Weather Delays and Cancellations Policy
Here are a few reminders regarding weather delays and cancellations. The following should be remembered:
• Inclement Weather includes not only snow and ice, but flooding, rock and mud slides and many other possibilities.
• For the safety of your family take efforts to be aware of weather conditions in our area.
• TLC! is currently using a Parent Notification System in which you will receive a phone call regarding a delayed start or school closing. Please always make sure your phone numbers are up to date to ensure you receive this call.
• Remember that we live in a geographically large area. What is happening or not happening in your backyard may not be the case for other families. For that reason, when you know as an informed parent that inclement situations are a possibility, always check the local radio stations, ( WKRK or weather line on WKRK 835-3200 seems to be the first to alert but sometimes as late as 7:30) and TV stations. If necessary, establish a buddy system with some person that you know is in the know, and have that person give you a call. The radio station also provides a text messaging service you can sign up for that will also notify you.
• WE WILL ALWAYS FOLLOW CHEROKEE COUNTY’S DELAY OR CANCELLATION SCHEDULE. They have the manpower to check the roads. Be assured they will err on the side of caution when they make that decision, for accidents have happened in the past that no one wants to risk again.
• WE WILL SEND OUT INFORMATION TO OUR PARENTS ABOUT MAKE-UP DAYS. We do NOT follow Cherokee County’s make-up schedule.
• If for some reason, none of the above has worked for you and you show up at the school, let the lack of cars and lights be an indicator that something is not as usual. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD A STUDENT BE DROPPED IN THE PARKING LOT IN HOPES THAT SOMEONE WILL ARRIVE. There will be no staff member present to supervise students before the official time of school The Learning Center! follows Cherokee county schools delayed start schedule. There is no Early Bird breakfast on these delayed mornings so the schedule will be as follows:
****Please note: Students must arrive and be signed in through the Dining Commons early enough to be IN CLASS and ready to work by the times noted as follows:
9:00 *1 hour delay: no breakfast, students still check in through the Dining Commons.
10:00 *2 hour delay: no breakfast, students still check in through the Dining Commons.
11:00 *3 hour delay: no breakfast, students still check in through the Dining Commons. In the event of a 2 hour delay.
The doors of the Dining Commons will NOT open before 9:30.
Students must sign in through the Dining Commons even though we are not serving breakfast. We will start sending students to homerooms at 9:45. THE GOAL IS FOR STUDENTS TO BE IN THEIR ROOMS READY FOR INSTRUCTION AT 10:00 SHARP. Getting to school on time is very important since your child will have already missed instructional time because of the delay. We ask that you keep this information available for easy reference. We will also send out phone tree reminders for all inclement weather days.
Your child’s safety and the safety of others must be the top priority.
Mary Jo Dyre, Director
Our Director, Mary Jo Dyre, offers Director Under the Tent days as a time where parents can access her without getting an appointment. This is a time where you can ask questions, get involved with volunteer efforts, and begin or continue to better understand the big picture vision of the educational opportunities that we offer on The Learning Center campus. Be sure to stop by the tent on Friday, September 8, 2017 anytime between 7:30am and 4:00pm to ask questions and find out more about all things related to The Learning Center Charter School.
***IMPORTANT**** Due to widespread sickness among staff and students, we will begin our winter break EARLY. There will be NO SCHOOL FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 17th, MONDAY, FEBRUARY 20th and TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 21st. These dates will replace the previously scheduled Winter Break. School will resume a normal schedule WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 22nd. We are sorry for any inconvenience this causes. Please get some rest and come back healthy.